Toxic Flea Treatments
Toxic levels of chemical flea treatment products have been detected in rivers throughout England as reported here in The Freshwater Blog. Whilst pet flea treatments may not be totally to blame, as these neonicotinoid chemicals are also used as agrochemical insecticides, their contribution cannot be denied. All sources that add to the environmental burden are potentially problematic to susceptible beasties. There is no doubt that insect levels are significantly lower than before, including our bee population that is of course crucial for plant pollination which is essential for our food crops.
EMFs must also bear their part of the blame too, and as 5G gets increasingly rolled out with mm-wave frequencies with wavelenghs that are closer to the dimensions of our insects then their effects will increase. We need to reduce the burden on our pollinators and other insects as much as possible as they all have essential roles in our ecosystem, although I haven't found anything to back that up for horse flies as yet ... !!!
There are a number of pet owner groups on social media platforms where people discuss the rise in adverse reactions that have occured after various spot-on flea/tick/worm treatments have been used. This has increased because as flea/tick/worm resistance to the drugs has grown, this has resulted in recommended treatment regimes being significantly shortened. Some preparations have seen recommendations change from once every 3 months to monthly. This results in a 3-fold increase in neonicotinoid dose for our pets and a potential 3 times increase in environmental contamination from them too.
Toxicity is effectively dose-dependent. Water can be toxic in too high a quantity, and I don't mean drowning! The nature of chemical flea treatments is that they are toxic to the insect's nervous system which kills them when they bite your pet. Spot-on treatments are absorbed at the area where they are administered, but of course they don't just stay localised to that area. They spread throughout your pet's body - not just in the skin, although where it is applied obviously receives the highest concentration and dose. Reactions are most noticeable when they occur at this site, but we don't know the cumulative effect of years of monthly applications and accumulation of these neonicotinoid chemicals in other areas of the body such as the liver and kidneys etc. Trebling the neonicotinoid levels in our dogs can only move them closer to the toxic threshold for our dogs too, especially those at the lightest weight to receive a certain dose rate.
We should also bear in mind that people who are in close contact with their pets are also going to receive small neonicotinoid doses too, which will be proportionally bigger doses and thus potentially more significant for children. When we walk our dogs in the countryside and let them swim, especially in the few days following administration, this is the time when some of the chemicals will be washed off into the rivers. Insects are incredibly sensivitve and a single dog dose can kill something like 25,000,000 bees. Smaller insects will be worse affected too.
Magnetic Field Treatment
Pet Protectors emit a magnetic field that can be measured with an App you can get for your phone. This magnetic field carries a frequency that repels fleas, (and ticks to a lesser degree) in my experience. They last 4 years and just by hanging them on your pet's collar they effectively receive and transmit the signal themselves, so you don't have to worry about remembering to use or apply chemicals.
The magnetic field is completely harmless to your pet and the fleas themselves. It's a bit like the devices you can get that repel mice/rats and moles from your house/garden. I have personally repeated the measuring of the magnetic field as shown on the following video and can vouch for it's presence.
It is important to start using the Pet Protector with flea/tick-free pets to begin with so the fleas don't accomodate to the signal as it builds and is subsequently emitted by your pet. Although not a problem in the UK, there are reports of them helping repel sandflies and mosquitoes in other countries where they are a vector for other parasites such as Leishmania.