Advantages of the Raw Meaty Bones Diet
The proper Raw Meaty Bones (RMB) diet provides a number of functions for our pet carnivores.
- Chemical nutrients - building blocks for energy, body repair and procreation
- Physical cleaning of the teeth and gums which are an efficient self-cleaning mechanism if fed correctly
- Emotional satisfaction - pacifying endorphins are released by chewing and crunching bones and tough connective tissue that leads to better, calmer behaviour.
- The harsher physical environment of the gut is less conducive for intestinal parasites.
- Slight straining of harder faeces (poo) helps express the anal glands which prevents impaction and other anal gland problems common in dogs fed commercial diets.
- Cats derive essential fluid intake from raw meat that helps prevent kidney issues later in life (see later).
There are additional benefits to us as owners
- Very often it is cheaper to source a RMB diet than commercial pet foods - especially the "top-end" supposed quality feeds. In reality an inappropriate feed ingredient is not made any more appropriate by being organic! Butchers have to pay for bones etc to be taken away and many are happy to hand them over in exchange for a donation to the charity tin or for a nominal charge. Be warned however that bones from efficient butchers are not as meaty as they need to be, so meat must be provided in sufficient quantity to prevent constipation and getting bunged up with digested bone. Ideally the meat is fed on the bone to encourage the dog/cat to rip it off thereby flossing the teeth and also to protect the oesophagus as the chewed bone is swallowed. In less than ideal situations it is better to have extra meat fed separated from but with the bone.
- Happier, calmer pets that are not hyperactive from additives and preservatives. There are approximately 4000 approved additives for pet foods, many of which have been banned from human food.
- NO BAD BREATH - "Dog breath" is not normal despite this phrase now being widely used and accepted in the English language. It signifies a rotten mouth that has periodontal disease leading to many other deleterious medical conditions. (See later for further details)
- Puppies chew bones instead of furniture, shoes etc and teething is easier.
- Volume of faeces (poo) goes down to about one third of the previous volume - less to clear up!!
- Faeces is hard and very much easier to pick up on walks in the public parks and for multiple puppies post-weaning.
- Faeces goes white in the sun - easier to see when cutting the lawn.
- Faeces crumbles if stepped on accidentally and dissintegrates into the ground instead of leaving large mounds of undigestable and insoluble plant fibre from commercial pet feeds that is a public health hazard and nuisance.
- Fewer health issues and LOWER VET BILLS!!!